When you need extensive work your dentist will usually suggest a treatment plan. Here’s a checklist of questions to help you understand the treatment and your benefits. Knowing the answers to these questions before agreeing to a treatment plan is important.
- Do I understand the treatment alternatives being recommended?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each treatment option?
- Which options are necessary, elective or cosmetic?
- What are the fees for the recommended treatment?
- Which of those fees are covered by my insurance and which won’t be?
- Do I consider the fees to be reasonable?
- Should I ask the dentist to submit the treatment plan for a pretreatment estimate of benefits?
- Is my dentist a member of my plan's network?
If you know the answers to all these questions, you will be confident in making the right decision.